Re: [RC] Rider Option - Heidi Smith

Horse passes thru VC in good shape with instructions
to massage hamstring area of horse.

I guess I consider the above to be contradictory.  If horse is in "good
shape" there would be no need for instruction regarding management of a
pending problem.

Rider decides to
pull to save horse for another day.  What would be the
Pull Code on this scenario?

The pending problem is relative to lameness.  The horse passed the check,
though, so it is the rider's option.  Simple--it's a RO-L.

Heidi

PS:  I underwent a similar scenario this past weekend.  Horse presented at
VC3 with a hypermotile gut, gassy, slow to reach criteria (well, slow by MY
standards--took 5-6 minutes when given the way we came in, it should have
taken him maybe 2 at the most) and would bounce back up to 68 and then hang
at 60.  Passed CRI, but up in that range.  No visible signs of discomfort.
Vet passed horse but requested that I keep an eye on him and monitor his
pulse and gut.  I was still unsure at the end of the 45 hold, and opted to
wait another 15 minutes.  Horse passed more gas, was just fine, and pulse
dropped to a nice steady 52.  I opted to go back out and used almost the
entire allotted time to complete the last 10 miles.  Had I opted to pull, it
would have been an RO-M.  But I don't consider this to have "passed the vet
check in good shape"--rather only to have passed the vet check.  I think
that is a REALLY important difference--and if a rider DOES go back out in
such cases, the rider needs to ride accordingly.  Passing the vet check is
not necessarily license to go out balls to the wall.  (And BTW, Howard--that
is also why it is REALLY important for vets and riders to talk to each
other!)