Re: [RC] Rider Option - Heidi Smith

>  Hi John,

>      Metabolism,  the sum of the physical and chemical processes .... by which energy is made available.

> The pull was metabolic, although it could be RO-M or M depending on if the vet treated or you requested treatment being safe. Chokes can be minor and resolve with no treatment in which case you could continue on.  But RO is for rider option, healthy, fit to continue horse with the rider having some issue.

Ditto what Jim says here, John--and I'll go one step further.  Swallowing is a metabolic process involving neurological reflexes and muscles, as well as requiring proper mastication and lubrication of the food so it will go down.  Its failure (be it due to fatigue, or due to mild dehydration and not enough saliva on the food, or whatever) is a metabolic failure, albeit not in the same sort of metabolic realm as the "crashing horse" that we all fear as the utlimate in metabolic failure.  So this is a metabolic pull, even if it is due in some degree to "operator error" in feeding dry feed to a horse that eats voraciously...  (But then most metabolic failures have some degree of "operator error" in the chain somewhere....)

I'd say this is in the same metabolic realm as my horse pulling at Magic Mountain due to lameness caused by stepping in a grate--not related to overriding in the slightest (and every bit due to "operator error"), but lame nonetheless.  (And Maggie--even though it was an injury, it still caused biomechanical disruption--hence "lameness" rather than a surface factor or needing a new code...)

Heidi