[RC] ADR & Horse deaths - Wendy Mancini

Joe Long replied:
I don't think we should be too quick to conclude this, and start
pulling horses for reduced gut sounds.  I've had horses with reduced
gut sounds at vet checks many times, and I've never considered that
*in and of itself* to indicate a problem.
    True Joe, I was afraid when I wrote that,  that it sounded like "pull for gut sounds".  I wouldn't want that either since my guy regularly has "B" gut sounds, and is perfectly fine (PPED).   Certainly other factors do play in such as hydration, HR recovery time, etc.   I do know that one ride he was B- and when we went back out I paid a lot of attention to "everything" he was doing & took extra time to stop at every potential eating spot.  The rider has to consistently remember that their horse is not invincible & just because it's been OK in the past, this time might be different.
    Hopefully, the Vet Committee research will show a pattern in Vet Check criteria that may predict serious gut compromise.