[RC] Horse Deaths - Tracktotrail

I agree with the last post from Lisa S. Records and Stats do not mean much to
me I have seen the BEST of the BEST get pulled. I remember my first pull, it
was a tie up and I was horrified that I let this happen to my horse. But I
learned a lot esp about nutrition, and that not all arabs should be doing
endurance and that you must put the horse in front of your EGO and not be
pressured by others.
I was not at the PAN AMs in Trout Lake but I am from Western Washington state
originally and now live in the East. HUGE difference. I know that Cia got there
almost more than two weeks before the race. Probably a good idea. Washington
has very unpredicatble weather and tends to be on the chilly side.
I do not know Darolyn but she has been doing this sport for a long time and
when you are in a sport for a long time you experience just about everything. A
horse dying is of course the worst thing that can happen but looking at stats
and records does nothing.  What you learn from is acutally riding the race and
training your horse.Each ride I go to is different from the last. Terrain,
climate, elevation ( which there is not much of on the East Coast compared to
the WEST) and  travel time. I know my horse very well and if at any point
during the ride he is not doing well, I pull. THis may not be good for my
RECORD or STATS but I will go home with a horse. I want my horse to feel good
after a race not dragging his but the last 10 miles and looking exhausted.
Amy