Re: [RC] [Guest] Adios - Jon . Linderman

I am not sure of the particulars regarding Adios death, however, it has not
been altogether uncommon for people to suffer problems associated with
hyponatremia.  Hyponatremia is a low sodium concentration in the blood.
Water basically follows sodium into body compartments.  Loss of sodium in
sweat, particularly in people who have borderline low sodium in the blood,
and/or people who tend to overdrink and have a somewhat dilute sodium
concentration in the blood, or people who genetically have very salty
sweat, or combinations of these problems may develop a very low sodium
concentration in the blood, leading to severe edema, central nervous system
dysfunction, coma, even death.  Several triathletes and other endurance
athletes have been suffering problems recently.  In one case a young woman
literally changed before the viewers eyes as water moved from the blood
compartment to the interstitium area between cells.  After the bike portion
of a triathlon she was lean and taught, 1/2 thru the run she appeared puffy
and swollen as water moved into the interstitium and she had severe edema
(swelling).  She collpased into a coma, but later recovered.  Not sure if
horses have similar issues, but the key with sodium is that it maintains
body fluids in their proper compartments and maintains blood pressure
(hence low sodium in people w/high blood pressure).

Jon K. Linderman, Ph.D., FACSM
Assistant Professor of Health and Sport Science
University of Dayton

                     "Mike & Kathy Kelly"

                     <reallykk@xxxxxxxxxxx        To:       "Ridecamp"
<ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                     et>                          cc:

                     Sent by:                     Subject:  Re: [RC]   [Guest]
Adios
                     ridecamp-owner@xxxxxx

                     durance.net

                     09/18/2003 08:26 AM

I know there was fairly recently a case of a marathon runner (I believe it
was a woman) dying from water toxicity.

Kathy Kelly