Re: [RC] [Guest] Adios - Maryanne Stroud Gabbani

At the first 100+ km fiasco held here in Cairo in honour of Howard's Sultans of Swing we had a horse that was owned by a Jordanian I believe who died after being given too much water IV. The horse had been diagnosed as needing fluids and was put on a drip. The owner/rider (not sure which or both?) left the horse and a groom with instructions to give the horse fluids, but didn't tell them when to stop. The horse went through some insane amount of water and the next morning was collapsing. The responsible individual was nowhere near the horse having stayed in a hotel for the night (no one was camping out with their horses but were leaving grooms in charge of them .... a topic that I could go on at great length about) and the groom begged help from some friends of mine who have stables near where the race was held. There was nothing that could be done and the autopsy showed that essentially the horse died of blood imbalances brought on by too much water.

This is not the sort of accident that would be likely at an AERC ride where most people are with their horses and pay attention to things like how much IV is enough/too much. At the rides that were taking place here, riders were foreigners for the most part who were staying in 5 star hotels and leaving horse care to their crews..... When the crew is a barely literate groom, this is a recipe for disaster, but the mistake in this case is obviously not that hard to make. The symptoms were just as you describe for the dog. No one could imagine why the horse was collapsing until they questioned the groom later. An autopsy was held at Brooke Animal Hospital and I went there to see what was going on. One unfortunate aspect was that the ride vets were all there under the auspices of the UAE and the UAE organisers (who were actually running the show) broke everything down, including the hospital tent, before nightfall to expedite their departure the following morning, so by 10 pm there were no vets on hand to help the poor groom. Not a good policy.

Maryanne
Cairo