Re: [RC] [Guest] Adios - MtnRondi

After reading about the two horses that consummed too much water it made be think about something I had read on one of my dog lists. They were discussing "water toxicity" in dogs and I guess it can happen in humans. Maybe this was a case of water toxicity in horses.

In dogs that drink too much water (like from a swimming pool or garden hose in play) the symptoms of water toxicity are: seizures, stomach pain, vomiting, loss of bladder control, electrolytes out of balance, glucose elevated. The potassium & sodium is life threatenly low.

So my question to the vets out there... are there documented cases of water toxicity in horses like there are in dogs and people?

Bonnie
So. Calif.