Re: [RC] Motorhome/Horsetrailer Possible? - Joe Long

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 11:38:42 EDT, Ultimatewealth1@xxxxxxx wrote:

Thanks for your responses so far.
We test drove a couple of longer motor homes trying to pull our horse
trailer, 30 and 31 ft. The issue we found was the cantilever effect. The
distance
after the rear wheels of the motor home was causing the trailer to
cantilever.
In any sort of a dip situation when the motor home was going down it was
forcing the horse trailer to go up too severely, lifting the horse trailer
tires
off the ground, and viseversa when going up through a dip. We could not think
of
away around that. Today we are going to test it with a 24 ft motor home
instead. As far as a not being sure of what our horse trailer is doing we are
going
to put a rear monitor on the motor home if we decide on buying it which will
take care of that problem.

I used a motorhome/trailer combo for about ten years.  I looked for a
motorhome that didn't have too long an overhang behind the rear axle
(I think this is very important), settled on a 26 footer.  I also had
an extended tongue on the horse trailer.  This accomplished two
things:  less lifting and depression of the trailer when going over
dips and bumps, and I could back up with the trailer as much as a full
ninety degrees to the motorhome without any part of the trailer
striking the motorhome.  That arrangment was quite stable.

A good trailer repair shop should be able to extend your tongue ...
get people who know what they're doing to be sure it's properly
configured and strong enough.  I had mine done by the trailer builder.

Going with the monitor is a good idea.  IMO with the low cost of video
cameras and monitors today, there is no excuse to tow a horse trailer
that you can't see from the driver's seat.