Re: [RC] Fw: Equine outbreak -- Oregon/EHV-1 - Stephanie E Caldwell

Amber,

EHV-1 is Equine Herpes Virus or Rhino, causes abortion in pregnant mares. It's usually just a respiratory disease, but it can cause neuro problems. It's scary to see, a horse where I boarded briefly last summer had EHV-1 with neuro problems. There's a vaccine, but it's typically just given to pregnant mares.

It is believed that once a horse has EHV they are always carriers. It tends to circulate through show barns and sale barns, places where horses come and go alot.

I boarded at a large sale barn for six weeks, and my horse ended up really sick. I was told it was Strangles. The mare next to her
had Rhino with Neuro involvement. Her horse recovered almost completely, but she still has some problems. Rhino is not a mandatory quarantine in most states, most times it's not very severe.

Steph