Subject: horse virus

There's been an outbreak of deadly EHV-1 in our area. The Dept of Ag has cancelled our open show this weekend in Astoria, and 1 barn so far has been quarantined in Rainier. 5 horses dead, 13 sick. They're advising horse owners to not haul out or let others into their barns right now. It's airborn, and highly contagious it seems right now. I want to let everyone that I know about what's going on here. They have no idea where it came from, and suspect it came in with a show/traveling horse. They will have agents turning horses away from the Clatsop county fairgrounds this weekend, and the Dept is working on getting the Poker Ride in Astoria cancelled.
I'm not going anywhere or letting anyone in until I get an ok.

Message: 3
   Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 09:17:33 -0700
   From: "Terry Barrall" <
losvagos@xxxxxxx>
Subject: FWD: More on horse virus...

Tomorrow morning the State Vet is expected to put out a bulletin requesting a voluntary stop of all horse transportation in the State of Oregon for two weeks.
I have not spoken to the State Vet, but will tomorrow. We heard tonight that there is a stable in Lake Oswego with 17 sick horses. I don't know anything at all about the illnesses there, but I do know we have another horse down tonight at our barn, Kit Kirby's Dominic, and he probably will not make it through the night.
Along with that, we have two, maybe three more cases that have gone neurological. That makes us with 5 horses that have BIG problems, one critical, one very serious, and three more with mild symptoms bringing the neurological up to 7. I am expecting to get the fax at work from the State Vet. He will be faxing to every vet clinic in the area, if not the State.
I would strongly suggest everyone follow that advise. I have never been so emotionally wrung out as I am right now. It is completely heart wrenching to watch these horses go down. The EHV-1 virus is said to be hardest on the young, but if Dominic passes tonight, that will be two old horses at our barn alone, and two other older girls from a different location. Who knows what is happening in Lake Oswego...
It is seeming to be very hard on the older ones, more so than the younger. My 16 month old had a hard time, but seemed to sail through it better than the others. The horse in serious condition is only 9.

This has not been labeled as EHV-1 as yet by the State. I am not a vet and I can not make a diagnosis. However, EVERY symptom is there with the exception of a cough. This is the neurological form of this virus and it is very, very vicious.
HUG YOUR HORSE TODAY. If he/she feels warm, take the temperature. If it is 103 or higher, CALL YOUR VET. Katie Ostervold from Valley Vet in Rainier is the only vet who had the cahoonas to raise the alarm. She is the first one to put this all together and go out on that limb to try to have it recognized. Katie is a silent hero here. I am sure her boss was hesitant to have their name and neck out on a limb, but Katie didn't care. She saw a pattern that she didn't like and went straight to the top. Good for Katie...
by the way, please say a prayer for her too, her horse began exhibiting possible symptoms tonight. If she is affected, that leaves only 3 horses and one mule left, out of 19, without symptoms.
I will give more when I have it.

Terry

---