Re: [RC] [Guest] Ansur Saddles - Ridecamp Moderator

Hi Sheila,
I had an Ansur for a short while. I did not put enough miles on it to say if it was really useful for competition--but I thought that it would serve for early work with new/young stock. I sold it at the convention this spring. It did not fit my arab with an A-frame and good withers, even with the wither pad I bought extra. What really killed it for me were the open "gates". The stirrup hangers were open and did not have sufficient lip to keep my stirrup leathers from sliding OFF when riding up a steep hill. In fact, they slid off when riding a horse who was built slightly uphill himself. I called the company. I emailed Peter, but the response was 'if the gate is closed, you may get your stirrup hung and that could be a liablity issue for us. Send it back, and we will look it over.'
I chose not to send it back for their review. Personally, I find stirrups that become detached while I'm in the saddle a problem. I wanted to drill the hangers and tie them shut, but did not want to damage the saddle. I will say that I was using stirrup leathers that were webbing and sewn similar to Wintec Webbers. I found regular english leathers way too bulky. The hangers are set way back in order to keep them from pinching the horses' back. Perhaps Peter has changed the design in the last few years. I still think it's an interesting design for what I planned to use it for, it just didn't work for the horses I had at the time. L