[RC] too much action? - Sundaez

Hi all

What to do...if anything...about a horse that has "too much action?"

My Morgan mare comes from some show lines and has a lot of action..especially at her fast trot (which is 11 mph). She's 15.1. and 7 years old, 900 pounds.

She's never been lame....but has yet to do a 50. I hear a lot of "wow, park horse" or "parade horse" and "not good for endurance...wasted energy" when I ride her. Her metabolics are great...and she is built narrow and streamlined.

How does "too much action" manifest itself in the long run? We are up to 20 mile training rides but she still high steps at the trot.  Any training suggestions to get her? Shoeing maybe? She even does it barefoot. The show people would probably love this horse but I think showing is boring.

BTW this mare also does a stepping pace and rack but that is at slower speeds...we can do a lateral shuffle for miles at about 6 mph.

Mel