[RC] Question on heart rates- a PS - Bette Lamore

I guess I should give you more info. Here is what I found:
Her first rate before exercise was 34. After lunging I got her rate up to 112--- she has been a pasture potato and very out of shape. then a few minutes after we stopped she got down to 88; at 5 minutes she was 72; at 10 minutes she was 52; at 15 minutes she was 44 and stayed there at 20 minutes. At 25 minutes she was at 40.

(old message)
OK I need your expert advice. I have an 11 year old mare who has been a
couch potato in pasture and I was asked to take her resting and exercise
and thereafter rates. I got a resting rate of 34 which went up
dramatically during heavy exercise (lunging) but came back down to 40 in
25 minutes. How does she rate for an unconditioned horse? What are
average heart rates for horses prior to training. Because I do not train
for endurance, I need your help here.
Thanks!
Oh, just got this in and thought you'd all get a kick out of it :-)

The tribal wisdom of the Dakota Indians, passed on from generation to
generation, says that, "When you discover that you are riding a dead
horse, the best strategy is to dismount."
However, in the Federal Government more advanced strategies are often
employed such as:
1) Buying a stronger whip.
2) Changing riders.
3) Appointing a committee to study the horse.
4) Arranging to visit other countries to see how other cultures ride
dead horses.
5) Lowering the standards so that dead horses can be included.
6) Reclassifying the dead horse as living impaired.
7) Hiring outside contractors to ride the dead horse.
8) Harnessing several dead horses together to increase speed.
9) Providing additional funding and/or training to increase the dead
horse's performance.
10) Doing a productivity study to see if lighter riders would improve
the dead horse's performance.
11) Declaring that as the dead horse does not have to be fed, it is
less costly, carries lower overhead and therefore contributes substantially
more to the bottom line of the economy than do some other horses.
12) Rewriting the expected performance requirements for all horses.
13) Promoting the dead horse to a supervisory position

Thanks for your help
Bette

--
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians

Always remember: "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." (George Carlin)