Re: [RC] Tights again! - Heidi Smith

Okay, I got the advice.  I purchased a flashy black
pair of tights online and bought some longer t-shirts
this weekend.  Only now I have a dilema. I live in MN
and although it will be 80 degrees the next few days
by the end of the week it will be 50 degrees.  So now
I need to know, what do you guys prefer to wear as far
as cold weather goes?  I used to wear jeans but the
seams have gotten to be a real pain for longer trail
rides.  Do I layer tights?  That may get really ugly!  Amy

I'll second the notion from other posters about Polarfleece tights for cold
weather (I got mine from Carousel) but would also tell you that 50 does not
constitute cold weather.  Once you're on and riding, you'll be plenty
comfortable in regular tights at 50 or cooler, unless (as someone mentioned)
it is also windy and rainy.  I break out the Polarfleece in the 30's or so
(if my upper body is suitably clad, they get pretty toasty when it gets much
up into the 40's) and being a wimp, I tend not to ride when it gets down in
the single digits or subzero, unless I absolutely have to.  (And then it's
sweats over the Polarfleece for me, since I haven't invested in any better
riding gear for that sort of weather.)

And who cares what it looks like?  Comfort is the issue, and the folks
looking can like it or lump it.  Dressing for endurance rides reminds me of
the old lymric:

"I know how ugly I are.
I know my face ain't no star.
But I don't mind it
'Cuz I'm behind it!
The fellow in front gets the jar!"

Endurance is full of dumpy, middle-aged ladies (and men!) who have long
since become comfortable with their bodies and who dress for maximum comfort
and convenience.  Everybody is used to us, and no one is concerned about how
you look.  I went to a horse show the other day--hadn't been to one in
awhile.  I'd forgotten how the lithesome youngsters look so chic in their
boots and breeches.  On the trail, most of us don't worry about stuff like
that.  Yeah, there are some folks (both genders) who look great in their
tights.  But there are enough of the rest of us around that nobody looks out
of place.  :-)

Heidi