[RC] Stopping at water (was:trail etiquette question) - rides2far

There's more you can do to help out a person you're riding with than just
stop. I'd noticed my horse always drank more if he was the first one on a
single track trail to get to the water...even if the other rider didn't
leave me. There was still the worry that they would. He's very
competitive and would rather dry up like a raisin and turn to dust than
be left behind, so it was easy for me to see other riders experiencing
the same problem. I sometimes suggest that we swap places so their horse
gets there first this time, or after my horse drinks I don't just walk
forward and wait for them, I turn my horse back to face them. It makes a
big difference in the 2nd horse's attitude. He no longer feels like he's
going to be left and will relax and drink.

I've also had a very competitive rider up front who, though she
technically "waited" for me, I thought intentionally sabataged me a bit.
Every time my horse's nose hit the water her horse would suddenly take
about 2 steps. Then she'd stop. It happened over and over. Each time
bringing my horse's head back up. Granted, I know there are those of you
who say my horse should drink no matter what and there is a point where
he will, but when you're trying to keep one topped off and they're not
*that* thirsty yet the other rider can help or hurt you a lot.  So...just
to let those people who *think* they're being sneaky know...I *know* what
you're doing and I have the materials for a voo doo doll at home with
your name written all over them. >cackle<

Angie

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!