Re: [RC] [RC] RC--DM Pad and Loin Rub - dixie midnight

> > Can I safely spray ShowSheen on the DM pad? > > ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! No, no, no, no....Your saddle/pad > will be going every which-way! Talk about balance > problems!!!

Eurk. Let me rephrase that :)))

Oh -- OK....:-))

I only meant spray the Show Sheen in the *small localised area* on the loin. This is what I did last year with the other horse and it was fine. Certainly *not* the *whole* saddle area... oh no... bad idea! :))

My question was more, "will I harm the DM by spraying
with ShowSheen?"

Gee...I don't think so, but I'll bet you're gonna have a "migration" problem with the Show Sheen. That stuff is pretty slick, and I know it migrates under a regular saddle pad, so...I wouldn't do it if I were you. Keep the weight off Horse's loins and you should be just fine.

> > I also think I need to check the inserts in my Skito,
> > as they are getting long in the tooth and probably
> > not providing the support they should be.
>
> While it may be possible, I sorta doubt it.  That's
> pretty good foam in there....

good foam in there, but it's 6 years old now and I know
isn't as good as new (comparing it to a new Skito we
just bought - the inserts are definitely tired....)

Really?!?!? After only six years??? Hm. I'd thought they lasted longer than that.... That COULD be part of your problem....letting the saddle drop....but....no...I don't think so...even if the foam is tired, it's still a saddle pad, and will be affected by the weight and position thereof upon the SADDLE. Position of weight causing pressure is it, I'm sure.

> The other part could very well be a conformational
> change due to better fitness...

I doubt it in this case (although I agree in principle).
He's not as fit as he was in 1999 when I did three 50s in
6 weeks with the same saddle. He's getting there, but not
quite yet.

Ok. THAT's not it...:-)

That said, the saddle is rigged differently  (center fire
style, for more stability) to how it was on him in 1999,
which makes it much snugger on the horse's back, so that
too might account for part of the problem.

AhhhHAH!!

Miss Lucy...the difficulty isn't with the supposed snugness the center-fire rig supplies, it's the creep! Every horse has a heart-girth directly behind his "elbow". That's where the cinch is supposed to lay.

In the case of a center-fire rig, the cinch is way behind the heart-girth, and has no way to stay there, so...it's gonna creep forward toward the heart-girth (it's natural place), thus pulling the saddle forward, thus tipping the saddle upwards, and dragging on the loins. Horse's chest goes UPward from the center to forward, so you can see what I mean.

Now...IF you place the cinch in the heart-girth with a center-fire rig, your rigging ring and cinch ring are now offset, and there's gonna be a tug-of-war between the two of them. The winner will be the cinch-ring, pulling the saddle forward, tipping it up, and dragging it on the loins.

The 5/8 and the Center-Fire rigs are leftovers from a time when horses were much thinner, and had much higher withers. Today's modern horses aren't built that way, and the Full, 7/8, and 3/4 rigs were developed for their conformation.

You CAN beat this by using an extremely wide cinch, but I don't know if they even make 'em any more. This extra-wide cinch will pretty much be to blame for one OTHER problem...tightning the cinch too much will FLARE your treeless saddle, flattening it on the horse's back, and rubbing him...guess where...on the loins!

Ok...so much for the horror stories....you might could beat this by using an extra wide cinch, and using the STANDARD 25 lbs. of pressure on the latigo when you cinch him up. That way you won't be squishing your saddle flat, and the extra-wide cinch MIGHT give you the stability you're looking for. If you're going the extra-wide cinch route, I'd look around at the roper's supply houses and get the WIDEST mohair roping cinch you can find.

OR...you could re-rig your saddle to a 3/4 or 7/8 rig... Try the 3/4 rig first, it's closer to your center-fire. You might wanna look at a flank cinch as well??? Remember to use no more than 25 lbs. of pull when cinching up your horse.

25 lbs., eh??? How the heck do ya MEASURE that!?!?!? Easier done than said, madame....Get yourself down to the fishing supply dept. at any store that ends in -Mart. Ask the counter-man for a fish-weighing scale that goes to 50 lbs. The kind with a ring on one end and a hook on the other. Hook the hook into your latigo, hold onto the ring and PULL. Read the guage and... Voilá -- 25 lbs!! Re-check it as normal....

As always..NO CHARGE =:-) Hope it helped some.....

Holler at me if you gots more questions.

Karl
Dixie Midnight
No-Sweat vent pads
http://www.dixiemidnight.nv.switchboard.com