[RC] Oil thing and Feed again - Roger Rittenhouse

Corn oil goes bad FAST in the SE. So I dont use it.
The Nutrena EMPOWER is nice but costly and the dealer never has it..

Rice Bran they ALL hate it.. I gave up on that one.

I finally bite the cost and went back to UCKELE COCOSOYA oil - it really
works and will not go bad.
I have the 3 old one on it made all the difference.
I dont need any with the workers.. Except in the winter I feed some

I have 'decided' the real high fat diet  of over 10% to be not good. I like
to keep around 7%, but then most of this is a guess anyway. I add fat based
on body score. OR if we had some hard rides I will give him extra fat AFTER
the ride for 3  or 4 days. I give on the average one cup  per day.

it cost $33 for 5 gal plus shipping with ship weight at 42 pnds  -- so I
order enough stuff and if you get 3 gal it $30 each -- to get the weight
over 200 pnds then the shipping by UPS is lower.

I use to try and sell this at rides but with the new rig I dont take much
heavy stuff anymore.

I too have dropped the designer feed. I use COB 25/50/25. I have addressed
this many times.
I also get a 10% protein and 10% fat feed from Producers Feed.. and mix 50
pnd bag with 200 pnds of the COB.
At rides I use the COB mix and offer the 10/10 feed as is.. or what ever
else he wants to eat.. even your feed...
I add NO extra fat at rides.  I want carbs and hay.
I also have not  bought much of the fiber BP based feeds, why pay all that
for BP and fat..I thought they were great but way costly and really did not
do much.. that I could not do with COB added oil and BP and what ever
supplements I think he needed.

I keep thinking about writing my Feed paper- a history of 30 years of
feeding ' working trail horses'
I started out with with just junk feed mill feed to  making my own, doing
the balancing act, I ran all the numbers with fiber Mcal protein, DE  etc,
all out of the feed manual from Univ of PA.  The feed store guys thought I
was crazy to do all that for 'horse' feed.

Then I listened to market hype and went to better quality sweet feeds,
both local mill made and brand names, to the high priced designer feed -
now back to basics with only a few changes from what I did in the 70s.
The major difference is I use only steamed flaked corn, no whole or cracked
corn and the fat source.
I even feed a probotic and E/Se back then.

Way OT here .. I just found all my feed notes from the 70s today while
cleaning up some old file cabinets.
You know we did not have Dr Susan G or Dr Kathy Crandle in  those days. We
in the east at least had Dr Jeannie Waldron, and Dr Mathew  and all those
OD100 /ECTRA lecture sessions

Roger R.