[RC] How do you teach a horse to use and auto waterer correctly?? - Jena Williams

Hi all. I have sold a couple of horses and was able to reorganize my stalls. My guy, Temba, is now in a large stall right off the arena/turnout with and automatic waterer. Now these are big heavy duty all metal waterers, not the plastic kind. Thing is, he refuses to use it properly! I tried letting him figure it out (all the other horses did); that sisn't work. Tried showing him how to use it, and all that did was he had me trained to fill it up for him!

Well, now he has a new trick. When I went out this morning he had a huge puddle around the waterer. Since no leaks were apparent, I figured maybe he figured it out and made a mess in the process. While I cleaned the stalls I was able to witness his version of using an auto waterer. He nimbly flips the lever out of the way with his nose and drank the bowl dry. His thirst not quenched he flipped the lever back down where it proceeded to bounce in a perpetual motion spraying water everywhere (including a little in the bowl) with each bounce. Seems the weight of the lever is just right against the spring of the valve to keep it going. When he felt there was enough in the bowl for another drink he put the lever back into the upright position and drained it again. Then gave me a funny look for laughing at him.

I tied baling twine on to try to keep him from using this method, but he immediatly started chewing the twine. He is no dummie thats for sure. He really smart, smart a$$ that is. So, any ideas how to get this guy to use the waterer the way it was intended??

Jena & Temba (never a dull moment around here!)
Poway, CA

Compare Cable, DSL or Satellite plans: As low as $29.95. https://broadband.msn.com