[RC] BSF Part 5 of 9 - April Johnson

FRIDAY (or RIDE DAY)

I didn't sleep very well Thursday night. I kept getting awakened by a horse
banging on corral panels. I got up 2 or 3 times to try to keep our guys
quiet. Serts was probably noisy, and the horse across the way in corral
panels like ours. We'll have to figure out a better way to secure the rachet
straps separating Tanna and Serts in their pen. Serts would push on the
straps, trying to get to Tanna's hay, and that made some noise.

Tanna was an absolute angel. I love that horse. Well, he did manage to
remove his halter. I picked it up off the ground in the middle of the night
and put it back on him, wondering how in the world he got that off. That's
why I put him in a pen instead of tying. He can untie himself (and his
buddies), unclip himself, and now he's learned the trick of removing his
halter! I think I'm going to get a neck strap for him. Let's see him get
THAT off!

At 6 AM, I hit the snooze and spent the next 5 minutes waking up. Yawn. When
the snooze alarm went off, I shut it off and actually got up. It was chilly.
We'd needed to get blankets in the middle of the night. Nice change from
sticky humid heat!

I lit the propane light in our camper, knowing it would warm the air some,
as well as give me light to see. I dressed carefully in my favorite
nylon/lycra tights, my microfiber sports bra, dark blue socks (over my
tights), and my custom made t-shirt commemorating our Liberty Run
accomplishment of our first 50 mile ride. I also pulled a long sleeve man's
shirt on. It was chilly and I needed my arms covered!

I'm not quite sure where the time went but by the time the water was boiling
for oatmeal, it was 7 AM! My plan was to be saddling Tanna at 7 to be in the
saddle by 7:30. I quickly mixed the water into the instant oatmeal bowls and
scurried out of the camper. I'd just have to grab a bite of oatmeal while I
worked.

We swung one of the panels to close Serts in completely with corral panels,
leaving a big gap in Tanna's corral. First thing I did was draw a big blue
'E' on Tanna's haunches on each side. (They only had green and pink at the
vet in, but I wanted blue, so did it myself.)

Daniel then accompanied me to the scales to weigh Tanna before saddling him.
Tanna got on the scale without a fuss and weighed in a 780 pounds. Hmm, lost
4 pounds overnight. Nothing like his tanking up the night before Liberty Run
when he gained 30 pounds!

We went back to the trailer and I tied him next to the dressing room door
for easy access. I gave him access to beet pulp, which he ignored as
expected. With the gap in the corral fence, it was easy to go from Tanna to
the dressing room to the camper and back again. Serts was not happy and
paced and pawed and occasionally whinnied. Now one sees the need to
completely box him in good. Tanna pretty much ignored him. Hehe.

I pulled the rubbermaid container from under Tanna's saddle. Tanna started
to quiver with excitement. I opened it and grabbed his brush. Everything was
right at my fingertips. No searching, no misplaced tack. It was absolutely
great! I put KY jelly on the heart rate monitor electrode to go under his
saddle. I squished it in place, then took my woolback pad and positioned it.
Next came the saddle. I saddled him from the off side, since the dressing
room door was on that side and I wasn't going to walk around him for no
apparent reason. He actually seemed to like that better. Imagine that.

Tanna was still shaking, so I asked Daniel to drap a blanket over his rear
end just to make sure he didn't get chilled. It wasn't all that cold, but I
wasn't going to take any chances.

Next was his girth. I had planned to use the soft neoprene girth, but at the
last minute, I decided I wanted to use the tougher neoprene because it might
slide better over his skin. Where was it?? Oh, yeah, in the vet check box.
Sigh. I went ahead with the soft girth since the vet check box was already
with the vet check trailer.

I attached the girth heart rate monitor electrode. Then came the breast
collar. I readjusted the breast collar in a couple of places, then hooked
the heart rate monitor leads to the transmitter. After a few seconds, my
watch blinked and read "37." Good. Perfectly normal. I've seen him as low as
33 when saddling for a training ride, but 36 or 37 is the norm. (I've also
seen him as high as 80s when I hooked up the monitor, but that was only once
and it was the first time we'd ridden since our 50 mile ride at Liberty Run.
He was majorly excited!)

Daniel put 2 1-liter bottles of weak gatorade/kool-aid in my cantle bag. He
also attached my easy boot bag to Tanna's right shoulder on the breast
collar. I wasn't sure how Tanna would react to that, but I needed the boots
and that was the best place we could find.

I slid his bit into his mouth after trying to warm it a bit. Then I put my
hip pack on (carrying a mirad of items one might need on the trail). Then
came my helmet. My helmet is very important. Where else can I put my GPS
antenna and get that great reception?? Oh, yeah, it might protect my noggin
in a fall, too. Multi-functional! :-)

I checked my feet for my riding boots. Yep, there they are...wonder when I
put those on? Oh, well, there they are.

...To Be Continued

April
Nashville, TN