[RC] BSF Part 4 of 9 - April Johnson

After getting back to our camp (a very short walk away), Daniel and I poured
water into every available container. The horses' water buckets were filled
to overflowing. The dog's bucket was likewise filled. Several servings of
beet pulp were started to soaking. We also filled every 1 liter bottle we
could find with a weak kool-aid/gatorade mix. Finally, we had emptied all
the water we'd brought with us. About 20 gallons worth. Then we took the 5
6-gallon containers up the road 3/10ths of a mile to refill them. I had the
dog on her leash and the horses on lead ropes and Daniel pulled the water
containers in a garden cart we'd brought with us.

When we got back to camp, Daniel took ratchet straps and divided the horse
pen into two pens. Tanna was turned into the one with the trailer side as
part of the pen. Serts was in the other end. I threw Serts a flake of hay
and filled Tanna's hay net with orchard grass and alfalfa hay. I also gave
them beet pulp to get started on.

There was no time for a ride. This would be the first time I hadn't gone for
a pre-ride the day before. Course, this was only my 5th ride, but one finds
comfort in routine! I thought about double-checking my tack, but nixed that
idea. I was certain I had everything. I'd checked and double-checked and
rechecked at home. I had all his regular tack tucked into a rubbermaid
container. And had spare tack tucked into another one. I had everything.

I pulled out his easy boots and put them in the easy boot bag I bought at
the convention in March. I made sure the bag also held a pull-on strap, a
screwdriver, and a hoof pick. Then I dropped the bag into the rubbermaid
container holding his tack. I'd have to figure out a way to attach it to him
in the morning after saddling him.

While waiting for the ride meeting to start, we had a truck and trailer get
stuck in front of us while trying to go to another part of the field we were
in. Daniel had moved the truck back a bit in order to allow them to pass by
us. The pathway in front of our truck was just big enough for a truck to get
by, but not a truck and trailer due to the turn radius that was necessary to
get into the pathway. So Daniel had backed up a little. The truck and
trailer got stuck in front of us.

A neighbor across the field came with a shovel and Daniel provided a tow
rope. Another truck came from the other direction. After digging out in
front of the stuck tire, the second truck towed out the truck and trailer.
Fun, fun.

Soon it was time to head back to the tent for the ride meeting. Daniel and I
picked up our camp chairs and wandered over. There was some definite news to
be had. Because of the rain, the creek crossing was too high on one of the
loops. So the 30 milers would be doing the same trail twice. On the way out,
orange ribbons would be on our right. On the way back, the orange ribbons
would be on our left. Karen cautioned to pay attention on the way out as
they hadn't been able to mark all the turns for the way back. The 50 milers
also had some trail changes, but that sounded way too complicated and I
pretty much ignored what they were supposed to do to make up for the missed
creek crossing. The vet check would be an away vet check, as we already
knew. Pulse criteria at the vet checks was 64 beats per minutes. 30 milers,
of course, had a 60 beat per minute at the finish. CRIs would be the vet's
choice. Tack off at all checks.

One thing that did get my attention was the announcement about the farrier.
Karen warned that we would be on our own for farrier work since the arranged
farrier wouldn't show up until mid-morning on Friday! How glad I was that
Billy had come and put that shoe on! Goodness! I would have still ridden,
but would have foamed easy boots on and didn't want that hassle.

After the ride meeting, we headed back to our camp. It started to get dark
and we decided that Daniel wouldn't move the camper to come to the vet check
after all. He said to go ahead and send my vet check stuff with the vet
check truck and he would try to catch a ride with somebody else to the vet
check. But in case he didn't make it, my stuff would still be at the check
for me.

So I scurried around getting things into the rubbermaid container I dubbed
the "vet check box." Pop tarts, apples, carrots, and a few other last minute
things in addition to the extra tack, horse first aid kit, and human first
aid kit that I already had packed and waiting. I also put a couple of flakes
of hay in a hay net. One flake of alfalfa, one flake of orchard grass. We
then put the hay net into a kitchen-sized garbage bag. That took a little
effort. Then Daniel took a bungie cord and secured the hay garbage bag to
the top of the vet check box. I gathered two small buckets, one large
bucket, and a wal-mart bag of premeasured beet pulp/grain mixture. Dry. I
would pour water in it at the vet check.

By the time we took our stuff to the vet check truck, it was dark and the
other vet check stuff had been loaded. Thomas Isaacs, one of the managers,
was there and expressed concern that our stuff might get scattered and that
would cost me time. I assured him that I was not there to race, it was only
my 5th ride and we were just there to have a good time. He commented that
was a good attitude and opened the trailer to put our vet check stuff with
the others.

Returning to the camper, we tossed more hay for Serts, gave Tanna 2 more
small buckets of beet pulp, and retired for the night. We ate some soup that
Daniel had heated on our stove. Then I carefully laid out the clothes I was
going to wear on the ride. I added a long-sleeved oversized cotton shirt to
the pile. I thought it might be chilly in the morning. I set the alarm for 6
AM. Start time was 8 AM, so no need to get up too early!

...To Be Continued

April
Nashville, TN