Home Current News News Archive Shop/Advertise Ridecamp Classified Events Learn/AERC
Endurance.Net Home Ridecamp Archives
[Archives Index]   [Date Index]   [Thread Index]   [Author Index]   [Subject Index]

Re: [RC] Truck tags & Insurance - RunRoskoRun

In a message dated 9/1/2003 10:30:45 AM Pacific Standard Time, katswig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Here in California, all pickup trucks are considered to be
(and licensed as) commercial vehicles even if the only thing
you use it for is to drive around town.  And they charge you
for a commercial vehicle (along with a weight fee) no matter
how you intend to use it.

This is not entirely correct.  Yes, pick-ups are registered as commercial vehicles.........Unless, you put a camper shell on the bed.  Then you can register it as a passenger car and pay the lower fee.  However, if you get caught driving around without the shell, it can be a whopper of a fine.  I'm not sure how this would relate to towing, but I don't believe it makes a difference since SUVs are reg. as passenger vehicles as well and many folks tow with those, too.

Just FYI,

abigail in No. CA