[RC] Trailer downsizing dilemma,opinions? - Laurie Durgin

Opinions anyone?? Current situation . We have a 96 Featherlite ,econolite,3h slant with goodies/dr,tack etc. Was bought for showing daughter and fun shows, but she has moved out on own to train more or less. Tow vehicle is husbands 250 diesel. I hang out in a 86 ford 150 with remanufactured new engine and trannie.
Here's the scenario. Husband now travels 2/3 of time, so he is only going to be able to be home to trailer on weekend events. I can ride out my back door for conditioning now, but area is growing gangbusters and only short time till the 2000 acres is gone (atlanta metro), Thought we'd have 20 years, but looks like it may only be about 3-5.(more and more 4 wheelers too).(moving will be an option)
Now if I could trailer, I could go to Kennasaw mt.(7 miles), Silver comet, Talledeaga, and other State parks within 2.5 hours to ride. I could also go meet other trail riders and train. And if there are conflicts with boy scout campouts, ham radio etc. weekends I could still go.
I am checking on towing capacity of my pickup, i think it will be around 5500 lbs.(trying to get info now). I thought of selling / trading our 3h (too heavy for my truck steel mostly 5380 lb. ) and getting a used aluminum, or fiberglass trailer (brenderup, or rice, merhow etc. if you know of any others let me know). Our trailer is roughly worth 600-6500$ paint good shape, but rust started on a few seams). Then I could have more freedom to trailer to riding areas for training etc.taking horses off property.etc. And if we needed a camper later, we could get one for his 250, and still pull a light bumper pull.
We'd thought of making our 3h dr into a small overnighter, but the door is on the 4 ft. long wall, So it could only be a sleeper, and right now I have gone in tents and don't't have a problem with tenting, or even sleeping in truck or trailer.
Money is the issue too, I can't buy a new trailer, so only have what we'd get on the 3h to buy something with. This trailers nice, but I hate to have it just sit and be nice , but it's use limited. And if we wanted more comfort ,a truck camper with the light trailer might be an option. If we keep the 3h , it ties us into a big tow vehicle indefinitely. We entering the 50's, hubby may trailride some with me, but that's probably it. We will only have 2-3 horses, and won't take more than 2 anyway, as boys are that interested in riding .
opinions, any feedback, experiences?
Laurie

Help protect your PC: Get a free online virus scan at McAfee.com. http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963