[RC] Starting Horses on Rides - Jim & Drin Becker

Stacy wrote

"And god forbid should I try to take precautions to prevent this from happening!! EVERY HORSE HAS TO START SOMEWHERE!!!!! I am just trying to prevent a
 problem, instead of being one, like some of the riders do! (that last statement is not intended to anyone who is nice) I know the nice people out way the rude, but the rude can make such as*es of "

Stacy I am also starting out a young horse this summer , my own home bred and raised 6 year old :-), I like you have done my homework taking her places , riding in group situations, etc; Ruffy has been to her first 3 rides this summer , all 50 milers . I just take her away from camp before the action starts and ride her slowly around either by herself or with someone else who is doing the same thing . Then I start 10 to 15 minutes behind the pack , this has worked out very well for me and as John T. said if things start to get out of hand step off and lead them until they settle down . I did this alot with my last horse . No reason to give them " anything " to try and calm them down , just good old common horse sense .
                                              Drin Becker
                                              Mtn Region