Re: [RC] Suitability to become an endurance horse (was: Calm & Cool) - Joe Long

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 00:28:07 -0600 (MDT), <heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I suspect that one of the reasons that a number of people
got their nickers in a twist is that, one way of reading the
question being asked was: "How can I give a tranquilizer to
my horse without getting caught?"

Bingo.  And those answering weren't necessarily getting their nickers in a
twist over the initial question--it was the continual repetition of the
question, and the rejection of the answer from poor Ed, who simply gave a
clear and factual answer.  I guess the answer wasn't what was really
wanted...

I think you've hit it right on the head.

Kat is into various alternative and homeopathic medicines, including
"aromatherapy."  At a ride, she started waving this little bottle
under Sanshra's nose at a vet check -- she said it would calm him.  I
told her to not do that, it was in violation of the AERC drug policy.
She objected that it was just natural herbs, and that the aroma would
calm him.  I had to explain that it was still putting calming
substances into his bloodstream (via his nose and lungs), and even
though it probably wouldn't "test" it was a violation of both the
letter and the spirit of the AERC drug policy -- and to NOT DO IT!!!!

She felt I was being picky, but I insisted.  We run clean, period.

Folks, it doesn't matter if a substance "tests" or not.  They can't
test for everything.  What matters is, is it normal foodstuffs in
normal amounts (grass, hay, grain, or electrolytes), or is it
something the horse would not seek out and eat in nature on his own?

I agree with Heidi that there is NO "calming agent" that you can give
a horse during an event that is not in violation of the AERC drug
policy.  There are some you can "get away with," sure, if you want to
cheat, but that's not the same thing as being legal.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx