[RC] Talking With Vets @ Rides - q jessen

I think you should talk to vets at rides. You know your horse. If you have a problem with your horse at home, you don't call the vet, have him come out, then don't tell him what the problem is!!!!Do you? NO!! If you let your vet try to figure out what your horses problems are on his own, that would take hours and you would have one hefty vet bill at the end. And that is your vet that hopefully know's your horse. On the rides the vets usually don't know you/your horse, and don't have a lot of time to guess. You should know your horse and be aware of how it's doing. And then relay what is going on to the vet to help him help your horse better. I think some of what you say should be considered. I have a friend that her horse is always a little off on one foot. She's been to different shoer's, tried different types of shoeing, and finally got it to where she is just a little off, not as much as she used to be. If the pre-ride vets didn't listen to her, she would never have even started a single endurance ride. But she knows her horse, and even carries a letter from vet/shoer about it, just in case it causes problems. And then there is my mom, who if any of her horses act's in anyway out of the norm, she will pull, happily pull. She doesn't mind sitting in camp as all the tired riders come in dirty, sweaty, and smelly. She will help out friends with their horses while they do a little tlc on themselves. You hear about the people stuck on the trail somewhere with a "horse problem". And yes, some are undetected by even the rider before it happened, and some were detected and the rider/vet decided for whatever reason, that it would be OK to go on. I personally would rather have a slight problem in camp where people/vets are all over the place, than be in the middle of a trail, no vet, usually nobody stopping to help, BUT before everyone get's mad at the statement, YES a lot of people will ask if your OK and if you need help, but if you say yes i need help, some of the riders would stop in a heart beat no problem at all, then there are "hard cores" that usually don't ask in the first place, then if they do, they are either to far down the trail to hear the answer, or grunt, groan about having to stop, and complain the whole time they are with you and can't wait for someone else to stop to get them off the hook,  and all the horses passing you usually causing some type of problem with your own horse being left over and over again. AWWW THE THINGS WE DO/THINK FOR FUN!!!! Well just wanted to put in my two cents in, sorry it ended up being a couple of bucks worth!

Do you Yahoo!?