Re: [RC] Overridden and Fit to Continue - Merryben

In a message dated 8/26/2003 7:33:39 PM Central Daylight Time, howard9732@xxxxxxx writes:
.  Your comments, your opinions should have nothing to do with his decision.  NOTHING!
I agree with you except for this statement.  You know your horse best.  The vets I know tend to ask How is he doing?  Does he feel all right?  Then if you lie, they will know.  But sometimes the horse is just not himself and it is nothing you can put your finger on or maybe it is.  I remember when we all started feeding Purina Athlete [when it first came out] and my horse passed the vet check 4 miles from the finish.  I told the vets it had taken him 20 minutes to come down and they thought he was fine but maybe a little tired.  Just before my hold time was up I took his pulse again and it was 80.  I told them I was pulling him.  It took until 10:00 the next am before his pulse went to normal.  I know a few other people that had the same problem and as soon as we took them off the Athlete, they were fine.....Long way around but sometimes you know better and should talk to the vets....they are there to help and are not the enemy.  What am I supposed to do when the only vet at the check is one I sponsored as a junior??????    mb