[RC] Managing Rides - goearth

Oh Susan, I think you hit upon something here.  If the AERC Rules can be ambiguous at times, and the Vets Bless them, are some times showing bias (I've seen it), and some Riders show less than stellar compassion and knowledge, who does the responsibility lay upon?  It lays on the RM.  When I was a RM at the Ft. Valley Rides in the 80's there was a mandatory rule that a helmet had to be worn.  It may have been the first mandatory rule of that sort and even before FEI.  But the previous year we had a Governors declared  Emergency when a horse went over the mountain and had to be lifted off by a helicopter.  Why can't the RM dictate rules in the best interest of the Horse and Rider?  Who is the one at the top who is responsible ultimately?  Its the Ride Manager.  tom sites