Re: [RC] overridden and fit to continue - Kristene Smuts

If they don't know the rider, they don't know if they will  honor the promise
to slow down, and it would be reckless  to *assume* so. If they *do* know the
rider, and allow them out with a promise, it is favoritism.>>

The last "ride" I went to - in April - I took Ibn 125 miles to a lovely spot.
I'd ridden the first 2 loops there last year and was dying to do his first 80 -
the scenery was absolutely stunning, especially on the first leg (the
organisers made sure the first timers got "hooked" into endurance by that first
leg!).

When I unloaded Ibn, he had a slight cough, but not major (that was Thursday).
I gave him some echina and worried.  Friday he was the same and I waited for
the vets in the afternoon.  He had no temp, no nasal discharge, pulse normal,
was eating and drinking like normal.  I took him to the vet and she said to
watch him overnight - also took pulse and temps.  I entered, paid my fees and
hoped.  The vet was known to me as she is the sister-in-law of a guy where I
condition.

Saturday morning early I led Ibn around to warm up a bit, when he showed
different signs of illness - stretched neck and he started shaking his head
quite a bit and still coughing slightly.  Took him back to the same vet (only
one on duty) and she said to ride him slowly on the first leg and then
re-assess him.  I pulled.

We were both very unhappy to stay in camp as the road where the riders entered
and left was right opposite his paddock - I sat in a camping chair in his
paddock and the two of us longingly looked at the riders coming and going.
Every time a group of riders left, he would do a few bucks around the paddock
then stare at them until they were out of sight.

People afterwards said to me that "you must ride it out of him" .... yeah
right, and have a dead horse, or worse (yes, worse), a horse with a severely
damaged heart that will haunt me every day I have to care for him?  I DON'T
think so!

I can't say that because the vet sort of knew me, that she made the decision
she did ... Ibn was a picture of health on all counts and that is what she
based her recommendation on - it was my own paranoia that had us sitting and
wishing we could be out there with the rest.  She obviously trusted me enough
to say what she did, but I'm not sure if she'd do the same for a total stranger.

Cheers
Kristene