From: "Bob Morris" <bobmorris@xxxxxxxx>
To: "Barbara McCrary" <bigcreekranch@xxxxxxxxxx>,"Annie George" <annie@xxxxxxx>,<ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
CC: <SWDRA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [RC] Dead horse
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 22:09:27 -0600

The important part of this discussion is that it is not practical to expect
zero fatalities in life. It just does not happen. As omnipotent as I am I
will die one way or another. So it is with the horse. Most all of you are,
in the vernacular, preaching to the choir. It would be best if you were
preaching to the congregation or actually the unwashed 2% (ok so I am not
PC).

Realize that in life there will always be the small minority that does not
understand the mores of the majority and they do not conform to what the
preponderance of society demands. And again, realize, this is what makes
humanity so individualistic and commanding. Not every one can or will adhere
to what sessions of society demand of them. Those are the ones we must have
sympathy for and attempt to blend to our way mode of action and reaction.
Those are the ones we must accept for what they are and it is for us to set
an example, to demonstrate what is, in our minds, correct association with
our horses. Condemning them will not serve the purpose. Ranting and raving
will set an adversarial relationship that will not gain adherents to our way
of interfacing with the horse.

Education is limited, just look at what happens in any educational
institution. Some pass and some fail. While all are created equal, not all
develop equal. So it is with the relationship with the horse in endurance.
No matter how excellent the education, some will fail and the horse will
suffer. Just consider how many children suffer from the same syndrome.

All in all, we must do our best and accept that there will be "holes" in the
program, there will be failures and horses will encounter fatalities. If you
look deeply you will find those fatalities attributable to improper
education are a minor part of our fatality experience.

Bob

Bob Morris
Morris Endurance Enterprises
Boise, ID