Re: [RC] Protest & Education - Maryanne Stroud Gabbani

People on Ridecamp probably know the truth of the saying about how you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink even more than any other group. Ridecamp is an extraordinary source of knowledge and experience that I have been wallowing in for years now. Do I ride endurance? Nope. We don't have any that you want to talk about, but my horses are healthy and happy from what I've learned here. Endurance is the one equestrian discipline that really is about horses being horses and doing what they do best....moving at various speeds across country. Okay, there are boundaries that wouldn't be there in nature, but the Educated Rider tries to work with those boundaries rather than banging his/her head against them.

Can you get people to learn if they don't want to bother to read the manual before they turn on the machine? Not by any polite means....it's going to take some coercion. I've seen up close what happens when you toss prize money into a pool of newbies....horse carcasses. Not pretty. The only way to make them learn is to lay sanctions on mistakes. There will always be some idiot who looks at a horse as a means to a financial end and is willing to sacrifice the horse for that end. If you are ingenious about your sanctions, you might be able to stop them halfway through...vet checks help a lot. At least you can keep them from doing it twice and if idiots are aware of the price of screwing up before they start (and a dead horse isn't always a price that worries them), you might get them to read the manual.

When I was doing research to help set up an endurance association in Egypt I looked at the various national organisations and how they introduced riders to the rigours of endurance. The British step system seemed good to me in that it enforced a learning curve. The Australian endurance logbooks also help to enforce appropriate behaviour. There are any number of ways to do it and none of them are foolproof. Equicidal maniacs will always slip through, but you can decrease the likelihood. Did our local association try to use any of this? Nope, they set up a group very like the FEI with all the same problems.

You can lead a man to knowledge, but you can't make him learn.

Maryanne
Cairo