Re: [RC] COPD - Heidi Smith

My horse was just diagnosed w/ COPD.
Any second opinions from Vets?
Experience with managing copd? in endurance?

Was just mulling how best to answer your post, and came back and read
Susan's advice, and concur with everything she said.

I'd add a few more comments.  I did campaign a mare with COPD quite
successfully some years ago, so if it isn't too far advanced, it may still
be compatable with riding, as long as you can control it with management and
don't need drugs for maintenance.

First, I think you're doing the right thing to treat it--and even treat it
fairly aggressively--while it is really bothering him like this.  You can
institute management practices while he is on treatment, and then see if you
can maintain him without the drugs once it is under control.

Second, COPD is pretty much the same thing as asthma in people.  So not only
do you have to worry about irritants (dust, smoke, etc.), you also have to
worry about allergens.  Mold is a biggy.  Pollens can be as well.  And your
observation that the horse got worse after being moved to a new environment
could be significant not only with regard to irritants but also with regard
to allergens.  So moving him home again may be very worthwhile.

Susan already talked about controlling irritants, and some about nutrition.
I'd also add having lots of antioxidants in his diet--make sure his selenium
levels are adequate, and feed extra vitamin E.  Add C if you are going to an
event or doing anything stressful--but don't leave him on C all the time, as
that can inhibit his own manufacture of it.  And make sure the overall diet
is top-notch--good health is a MAJOR factor in keeping COPD asymptomatic.

Ride regularly, depending on what he will tolerate.  I stuck to a nearly
religious schedule on my mare--she was far more unforgiving of change than
any other horse I've ever ridden.  Again, the regularity will help with
overall health.

Heidi