[RC] Protest & Education - KimFue

Next question--while I don't sympathize much with the lady in question, she does make a valid point.? How do we educate people like her BEFORE the damage is done?? Perhaps we should be dwelling on that one a little more and on our horror over what can no longer be helped just a little less.? Just my nickel's worth....
?
Heidi

I would like to put my two cents in concerning "education" of new riders.  I think in the past 10 years  the amount of information available to those just getting starting in this sport is incredible.  The resources available from AERC, internet groups like Ridecamp, regional endurance clubs,
AERC mentoring programs and several good books on endurance riding (Nancy Loving's book comes to mind) provide more then enough education if newbies are willing to be educated.  In Southern CA, I even know of two trainers/ranches that specialize in training/educating endurance riders.  They mentor to new riders and will even guide them through rides.   I ride in the same region as the woman in this protest.  I know for a fact that at many of the PS rides last year one of our regional directors, John Parke, gave a talk to the new riders after the ride meeting to help "educate" and answer any questions that newbies might have about endurance riding.  I know many new riders took advantage of this opportunity.....I wonder if this person ever took advantage of one of John's talks.
     I think the "education" is there for those that WANT to learn.  How do you spoon feed riders (old & new) that  will not invest some of their time in learning "how to"?  Some people are not willing to take advantage of the educational opportunities presented and then use ignorance as their excuse when something goes wrong.   I think it takes a lot of nerve to use this as a defense when a tragedy like this occurs and I have no sympathy for them.

Kim