[RC] Equine Herpes? Anyone know anything about it?? - Christina Schiro

My horse Cody's pelvis/hindquarter area has been very sore the past month. I
had a chiropractor come out twice. He said that my horse had somehow thrown
his back out of alignment (probably frolicking in the pasture), then he
compensated for the pain with his stifles, so they became sore also. Each
time the chiro readjusted him, Cody seemed ok for almost a week. Then again,
if you prodded Cody's hindquarter's he began very "flinchy". Since the
problem kept coming back, I decided to use another Chiropractor who also
uses Magnetic and Infrared Therapy (with this alternative method she was
able to find out that his shoulder and poll were out also!). As she began
the session, she said with about 75% of her calls the horses had a form of
Equine Herpes, causing the hindquarter area to be sore. It is passed from
horse to horse when sharing water buckets, although she suspects is might be
passed airborne. She said to put him on "Lysine" (spelling?) to treat it. He
will always have the virus, but the Lysine will keep it dormant. Without
Lysine, the virus will flare up in reaction to any type of stress. I went on
to the web to get more info on equine herpes. I found out that there are
several types of equine herpes, but I can't seem to find the one Cody has
because they all mention a bunch of symptoms my horse doesn't have. I can
still ride him, it's just that he can not activate his hindquarters as well,
he's not as flexible & fluid, etc., and when poked and prodded, his pelvis
area is very flinchy. Anyone know anything about herpes? does it sound like
he really does have it??