Re: [RC] Western Raised horses out East - rackinfool

Well Roger, I ain't gonna guess, but I think you may be interested in my situation.

I have brought down to date five Canadian Horses of my own, and transported four others that went down to So. Cal. Much different climate and terrain than what I have here in Southern Oregon.

The last one, my Rocky Mountain horse was being trained this winter in minus 40 degree weather with three foot of snow. He came from way up north in Alberta almost to the NW Territories.

He never even had to climb an ant hill, much less the 4400+ ft elevation that I ride in out of my barn.

I brought him down here the end of May, and he was GREEN, GREEN, GREEN, and he was 100 lbs over weight.

We have had a horrendous hot summer in this part of Oregon, 108 degrees and too many over 100 degree days, plus a few with humidity that we normally don't see.

In Canada, he was eating five pounds of oats per day and the hay was nothing that I have ever seen nor would I feed to my herd.

He has completed two LD's and has done super! He got into condition in no time with these mountains and his heart rate at the Redwood Ride was way better than I expected.

D'Artagnon is six years old as of this past June. He was a Stallion until about the end of last year, he ran with forty other stallions on 200 acres, never had shoes on, never had to "answer" to any human until he was started this winter.

I am taking him to Headwaters on the Rogue this weekend for his third Ld. I plan to let him move out a bit faster, he can do it with plenty to spare. That does not mean we are going balls to the wall, just I am going to keep him at a good lick and watch his vitals and how he is reacting, which in the past two rides, he seemed to really enjoy it.

In fact at Redwood, which was on the coast, so a whole new environment, when we came to the VC, the pulser said he had the lowest HR of any that had come in.

So in my opinion, which I imagine you would call a guess, your horse will adapt just fine. All of my beautiful Canadian boys never ever seemed to have any trouble with coming Stateside.

amber