Re: [RC] Shoes or No Shoes... - Kari Hanes

The blood marks were on the top of the front hoof 2 days after shoeing, not bad, a surface wound just above the coronet band. But never having an arab shod before, we weren't sure what was going on. And it is in such an impossible spot for him to clip himself or so we thought. We ride the same route almost every time, so it's hard to believe he caught I stick both times and my mare didn't. It was the same hoof both times, my mare is barefoot and she'll stay that way for now. I believe there's either 6 or 8 nails in each shoe. If you guys are going to White River Labor Day, maybe Nelson can look at him and give us his opinion. We really like this farrier and Wayne gave us a good reference. It's been hard for us to find someone who likes to work on Arabs, and this guy is very good with them. My husband is thinking about putting splint boots on him and duct taping them down to the coronet band so we can see exactly where he's hitting by the marks left behind. We used this method when we worked with the race horses years ago.

Thanks,
Kari
Montalee Arabians
Holton, Michigan

Maggie Mieske wrote:

Kari,
You should not have to give a horse a month to get used to shoes.  Sometimes
I don't get shoes on or a reset done until the day or night before a ride!!!
WHERE are the feet bloody?  Is it the soles?  You said bloody feet on both?
Just the stud or the mare, too?  Just because the horses are brothers
doesn't mean they will require the same shoeing/trimming techniques.  We
have to make mild adjustments in angles/toes, etc. frequently during the
ride season because as the horse muscles up, they move differently.  Their
stride can become longer and larger.  Though it's nice to have 1/4" of heel
for support, not all horses can tolerate that excess...your farrier may need
to cut it off, use a smaller shoe or tuck it in.  I am still concerned about
the bloody feet.....tell me more.  Was this BEFORE or AFTER the shoeing?
Where does it come from?  How many nails does the farrier use?  More than 4,
especially if used toward the back (and I do mean 4 total, not 4 on each
side) can make the foot into a cast and reduce circulation.  Not good.
Anyway, get back with me. I'd like to offer some helpful advice.
Miles of smiles,
Maggie