Re: [RC] Rearing (& I'll take your rearing horse) - Kristene Smuts

I once rode my boyfriend's horse (he was in the army) and I was at the "can
ride anything" age.  This horse reared, fell over backwards and I broke my
ankle - thank goodness it wasn't worse.  BUT, it was on a piece of land where
no vehicle could get to (before the days that 4x4s were widely owned) and I had
to deal with a dilly horse and a broken leg, about 2 kms away from home.

Fast forward to about a year ago and the stable yard I was boarding at.  The
owner's daughter had a mare (still has) who would refuse to go out the gate and
would rear to get her way (in fact, she had reared before, fell over backwards
and broke her wither).  They asked me to work with her - I never admitted that
I had a bad experience with a rearer!  I took the challenge partly to get over
my own phobia and for about 3 weeks, we would walk down the drive, turn around
half way and walk back - long before she got antsy.  We gradually got nearer
the gate, then a few steps out the gate, then a few meters down the road, then
eventually all the way around the block.  I allowed her to look at all the new
and strange things and didn't insist on her "getting over it".  I never did
ride her out because another woman half-leased her.  One day the owners told me
that the woman had taken the mare out without any problems - the woman was a
beginner rider as well!

So, do what works for you.  And yes, she is an Arab!

Kristene