Re: [RC] how do you train a horse to go to your vehicle - Kristene Smuts

I like the idea of training the horse to go to your vehicle.  How do you do
that?  Charles>>

Well, it first came about that it wasn't really something I trained.  When I
got Ibn (wild, abused, stallion...... yes, I didn't know!) I would have the
carrots and his feed in the back of the truck.  So, every time he saw the
truck, he would come running.  I never gave him treats anywhere other than at
the truck.  When I started getting him fit, before I even rode him, I would sit
on the back flap of the truck with hubby driving at about 5 kph with Ibn on a
lead (people thought we were dragging him along, yeah right, at that speed?)
Every time we stopped, the carrots would come out the truck with the water
bucket for him to drink.  We thought we were doing a lot of "conditioning" then
- we did about 2 kms 2x per week! ;-))

Anyway, the habit stuck and I would always have some goodies in the back of the
truck and there were more times than not that we would be in the arena at the
stable yard and then Ibn would quietly wander off to the truck to see what he
could scrounge.  It always amused the yard owners that here was this stallion
who would rather go and find the carrots than go flirting with the mares!

I guess I would do much the same if I had to do a training session - make the
vehicle a nice place to be and they very quickly learn to stand there, with a
starved look on their face, begging for a morsel before they keel over and die
of hunger ;-))

Kristene