Re: [RC] Fw: Arabs Of Higher esteem?? - Barbara McCrary

My post was not meant to be prejudiced in any way, shape or form.  I simply have not had experience with any breeds other than Arabs, QHs, and a grade horse or two.  I do know that Arabs seem to me to be more sensitive than the QHs I've ridden.  My childhood mare was probably Morgan X draft, and I was an ignorant rider.  I used to whop her when she wouldn't do what I wanted.  She never blew up over it.  And my daughter's horse was probably a QH X mustang.  He didn't blow up about having his ears boxed.  If I tried that with my current Arab, he'd never trust me again.  Then again, I have one Arab that is so arrogant that a good swat wouldn't even phase him.  They're all different.

Barbara

----- Original Message -----
From: rackinfool
Sent: Monday, August 18, 2003 8:53 AM
Subject: [RC] Fw: Arabs Of Higher esteem??

Ooohhh Barbara,

I own arabs, I love Arabs, but please, they are not any different if being smacked around as my Walkers or my Rocky Mtn.

 I know this is an Arab inclined list, but to infer that other breeds may not be as sensitive is a  form of equine bigotry, eh?

I hope you didn't mean it that way, but for those of us trying to compete in this sport with non arab horses, and doing very well I might add, it is disheartening to constantly have the Arabians held in such a "higher" esteem than our hard working, hard competing,intelligent, sensitive gaited breeds.

amber
-----
You will notice that I specifically stated that the horse we hit over the
head was NOT an Arab.  I'm quite sure that I wouldn't do this to an Arab,
since they have, in varying degrees, a great deal more sensitivity.  My post
was not a recommendation, merely a recollection of something that worked in
the past with a different breed of horse.

Barbara

---