Re: [RC] Training accident opinions please OT - Sarah W

I have not followed this thread completely, but here
is my take, from both a horse owner/trainer (it is not
my occupation by any means) stand point and medical
billing experience.

Your trainer knows the risks involved with horses
doing riding, training or handling.  That is her job
for crying out loud.  I suspect she even has extra
insurance because of that.  She can not hold you
responsible for her own ignorance: I wear glasses,
too, but I do not ride with glasses solely for this
type of situation.  Never.  It is a risk I would
rather avoid.  You are not the one that chose to not
wear contacts or skip wearing eye glasses for that
training session, so why would you be held
accountable?  I don't know if you've got equine
liability laws in your state, but she, essentially, is
mocking all the equine liability laws that so many
equestrians have worked so hard to put into place ...
and they all basically say: You're riding at your own
risk because no one can predict what will happen or
when while working with or riding horses/equines.

If she does attempt to flag you as the responsible
party on the deductible, there is no medical personnel
or agency that can legally take her word for it.  She
created the bill, so she is solely responsible.  Any
and all payments you make on that deductible is out of
the goodness of your heart, and from the sounds of it,
I don't think you should be that good to her - she
wants to point fingers at you instead of taking
responsibility for her own decisions.  I do agree with
Marv .. time to shop for a new trainer.

You would be appalled if a friend asked to borrow your
car and then told you that you were responsible for
their speeding ticket, right?

Just my thoughts,

Sarah
Lansing, MI