[RC] RE:I'll take your rearing horse - Stewart, Carrie

What a great post Andrea!  I have a sensitive, young Arabian gelding.
He would never tolerate some of the ideas posted on the list if he had a
rearing problem.  He would shut down and therefore either cause harm to
himself or harm to me.
John Lyons favorite thing to do when your horse maybe acting up is
giving the horse something to do that takes his mind off of wanting to
act up.  Do circles, engage the hind quarters, back up or side pass.  Be
pro-active instead of Re-active.  Of course these things need to be
taught first but they are very useful later on while riding the trail.
I made the mistake of smacking my gelding on the neck for wanting to
kick at a mare we were trail riding with instead of keeping his hind
quarters away from the mare and keeping his mind on something else.   He
came completely unglued and YES!!!! horses can buck in a tight circle.
Better then going down the trail bucking though.  <g>  Now that I know
he has issues with mares (not with stallions or other geldings) I will
keep an eye on him and give him something to do when he pins his ears at
the mares.

Carrie
His neigh is like the bidding of a monarch,
and his countenance enforces homage.
He is indeed a horse...
-- William Shakespeare

From: "Andrea Day" <fetlocks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   I'll take your rearing horse

<<<I wasn't going to reply on the rearing horse issue, but the answers
that
have been sent in have me gritting my teeth. Biting, hitting on the
head?
Maybe for some of those ugly, cold-blooded "sevana" horses they used to
get
off the range, but NOT an Arab. <snip>
/end diatribe
Andrea>>