----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrea Day" <fetlocks@xxxxxxxxxxx>

most of post deleted, just great, wonderful advice, however comment on
following:

If you can

feel the horse beginning to rear, gig him with your heels and try to get

him

moving. A horse can't rear if he's strongly moving forwards. If he goes up
instead of forwards, you probably have a more serious problem than his

just

testing you. Figure out why he rears--is he afraid, hurting, being a shit,
doesn't like water?

Andrea, again, it was a very good post and I agree with tons of it. However, I have seen a lot of horses that develop the rearing habit due to the following: Horse tries it once, for whatever reason (being a shit that day, or being held back when buddies are going ahead, etc, etc). Goes up in air a little....and rider gets scared, and ignores it (does not discipline or correct horse). Horse then tries it a second time, with a little more effort, again, rider gives up on whatever it was the horse was supposed to do. Happens a few other times, rider now avoids those situation that will cause the horse to rear (can't ride it off property,etc). Horse has now learned rearing habit as protest to ANYTHING it does not want to do.

From that I have seen, horses either rear becuase they are being held back
too hard....or refusal to go forward.
Both can be "diffused" by circling the horse right before it goes up.  In
the case of a horse that rears when being held
back....sending him forward is giving him exactly what he wants, in the case
of a horse that might rear because his buddies
are going away from him.  If you send him forward...he is getting his way.
Does that make sense? Yes, he won't rear if
he gets to go along with the group....but that isn't solving the problem if
he rears when you try to separate him...and there
is no reason horses can't be trained to be left behind or go away from a
group.  If you can't do this safely, then the horse is
NOT trained!

When in group situations, especially with green horses, it is a lot to
expect that they stand still when groups pause or people separate.  Best
thing to do, if they have so much energy or anxiety they can't stand still,
is to allow them to move, but in a circle you can direct.  If they are
disengaging their hind leg by circling, then can't rear or buck...and this
can be done in a quiet, gentle way.  If the trail is too narrow....and you
can't do this, you shouldn't be out there on that particular horse on that
particular trail yet!

Karen

-- Bette Lamore Whispering Oaks Arabians Home of 16.2h TLA Halynov who lives on through his legacy Hal's Riverdance! http://www.arabiansporthorse.com

Always remember: "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." (George Carlin)