[RC] Sudden loss of energy - C. Eyler

I wrote to the list a while back about my gelding's reduced "wind" this
season compared to last year (after having been off much of the winter after
getting a cut on his leg and then our massive amounts of snow).  He just
seemed to get out of breath more easily when climbing all the steep hills we
ride.  I thought perhaps it was related to the fact that he's still a bit
too thin after getting really thin last winter.  [BTW, I received no

We did an LD about a month ago that did not include much in the way of
hills, and he came through it just fine.  We finished about 2/3 of the way
back in the pack, and he was not stressed at all by those 25 miles.
Finished with an A- overall -- A's on gut sounds and gait.  We also did the
route of the LD at Old Dominion back in June, except for crossing the
swollen Shenandoah to the mid-point, when the official ride was cancelled a
few hours before we arrived at base camp.  No problems with that either.

Last Monday the new vet came out (moved him to a new farm in the spring and
am now out of the old vet's travel range).  Floated his teeth (which, it
turns out, he really needed even though it had only been 13 months since his
last floating, and the equine dentist at that time told me it wouldn't be
necessary for another year), drew blood for testing (hematology and
chemistry panel -- all results within normal limits) and gave him boosters
for west nile, potomac horse fever and rhino).

Rode him Wednesday about 12 miles and he was terribly sluggish and
frequently needed to walk because he was out of breath.  Took him out with a
friend on Saturday, on terrain with longer, steeper hills than closer to
home.  It took us forever to complete those 20+ miles because he need to
walk so much of the last five miles or so.

He had no obvious reaction to the vaccination boosters, and I've never
noticed a reaction before to shots.  But could this significant lack of
energy and "wind" be a reaction to the shots?  Is there something else I
should have the vet check for?

Cindy