Re: [RC] Rearing (slightly OT) - Bette Lamore

Hi Barbara
When I was in high school, my first horse of my very own was a young saddlebred who had come with a very bad habit of rearing. A trainer at our barn told me to crop between the ears at the apex. Well, that didn't work so he told me to get a coke bottle, and break it over his head at the apex--- said the horse's skull is strong and that it won't hurt him, but that he will think the liquid running down is blood and it will cure him.
Loving my horse, I could not bring myself to break a bottle over his head, but I brought a baggy full of water and when he reared, I hit him with my fist and the baggy and yes he thought he was dying by his reaction and he never reared on me again.
Since then, however, I use the circling method to end this behavior--- the other method is a little too dicey for my taste at my age now-- as a kid I would try anything.
Bette

Barbara McCrary wrote:

Many years ago, a horse we had bought for our 10 year old daughter, already
a rider with some experience, decided he could out-fox the girl.  He started
rearing the minute she tried to ride him out of our driveway.  Our horsehoer
at that time was an experienced western rider, and he mounted up, asked the
horse to move out, the horse reared, and the man promptly boxed the horse on
the head, right between the ears.  It was a terrific show for several
moments, rearing horse, rider boxing the horse with his fist between the
ears.  After the dust settled, rider and horse went down the road, and the
horse seldom tried this again.  When he did, our daughter boxed him between
the ears and settled the issue.  This horse was NOT and Arab, so I'm not
sure whether that is too much correction for the more astute Arab mind.  I
agree with Karen, and it was MY first thought.....if the horse is 4 years
old and has had 2 years of professional training, she was started too early
and probably pushed too hard, too young.  I feel that 3-1/2 to 4 is a
minimum age to start an Arab, and one should take things slowly and
carefully.  These are generally very smart critters and don't take kindly to
heavy-handedness.  I KNOW people start riding Quarter Horses at 2, but Arabs
AREN'T Quarter Horses!

Barbara

----- Original Message ----- From: "Karen Sullivan" <greymare56@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: <Lra1222@xxxxxx>; <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Saturday, August 16, 2003 12:58 PM Subject: Re: [RC] Rearing (slightly OT)

I have dealt with a rearer. Sometimes, the act of trying to push them
forward will initiate the balk....then rear. You have to find a safe way

cure this problem pronto BEFORE it becomes habit. With one mare I had,

she

would refuse to go forward (becuase perhaps she was being asked to leave

the

property or her buddies), and kicking or asking her to move forward with
prompt the rear. What worked and was cured her, was this. Ask the horse

go forward. Give the horse a brief chance....if they balk; IMMEDIATELY
crank their head to your knee hard, have a very heavy crop, and run that
horse in about 10 good circles, whapping them as hard as you can on the
butt and yelling. You HAVE to make an impression and make it a horrible
consequence to not going forward. If you do not cure this, or nip it in

the

bud, you risk getting killed, if the horse goes over backwards with you.

If

their head is at your knee, they cannot buck or rear. This worked with

the

mare I had and cured the problem.

What are you asking the horse to do.....that causes him to rear?

I few other comments....is, how long at his horse been under saddle?

Sounds

like perhaps pushed too hard at a young age. At four,  you need to be
establishing GOOD habits, by making it easy for them to pay attention in
very short lessons or rides, and having a buddy horse along on the trail
also helps a lot.  Do NOT ask things of them they are not ready for...
Karen.