Re: [RC] Rearing (slightly OT) - Karen Sullivan

----- Original Message -----
From: "Barbara McCrary" <bigcreekranch@xxxxxxxxxx>

I should have added that thought to my previous message.....between 4 and
6
are the "terrible twos" of the horse world.  I have yet to ride an Arab
that
had stabilized his behavior much before age 7.  At 7 they start to look
hopeful, are better by 8, and are really settled by 9.  Sounds late?
Maybe,
but it has been consistently my experience.

Barbara

Gosh Barbara, I was just about to post about my filly.  She is an ARab/paint
mix, that has been on the trail since 6 months....
ponied with light saddle for several years, sat on at age 3 and taught to
move off leg, turn and stop, and now, at age 4, I am doing short arena
lessons and no more than an hour on her back on the trail. Riding wise, she
is coming along just great.

Problem:  she is showing a downright nasty, grumpy side!  She was just the
sweetest  and compliant baby, handled very consistently, kindly and firmly,
never allowed to misbehave or move into my space....and has had the older
mares to keep her in line!  Starting age 3 ( maturity?) she started pining
her ears at me and the other mares, etc.  Goes along with a sour look on her
face when ponied, etc.  Is this just a similiar thing to my now 16 year old
daughter, who was a sweet child, and turned into a moody, grumpy teenager at
ages 13 and 14?  Is there hope this mare will grow out of the grumps?  Any
ideas how to handle it appreciated also.  She is still now respectful of me
and my space, and has great ground manners; just has her ears pinned a lot.
Should I get after her for it?    My daugther is turning back into a
civilized human.....I sure hope this filly does too!
Karen