[RC] training questions - Joslyn Seefeldt

Hi:  I have read through the archives and the newbie areas.  I still have questions! :)
I am riding a 6 year old gelding(Paso Fino) who started out in April with a resting pulse of 12-14!
I am pleased that his resting pulse is now 10.
Here's my concerns and questions.
In an archive article regarding readiness for rides  -
Horse is ready for a 25 LD if horse is able to reach 60 in 10 minutes after completing 10 miles in an hour.
Horse is ready for a 50 is able to reach 60 in 10 minutes after completing 15 miles in 1 1/2 hours.
Is this realistic?  Should the horse be able to recover to 60 w/out water cooling?

My basic training schedule up to this point has been 6 -8 miles 5/days/wk.  Roughly 1 15 minutes time.
I try to get in a longer ride on the weekends.
We have completed 2 25's, but I am concerned with my horse's ability to pulse down.  Seems to hang in the upper 70's.
Last night reading(this is all I read about anymore!) stated if the horse is having trouble pulsing down, he has been pushed too fast.

Would be very interested to hear comments and opinions, either off list or on.
Thanks much,

Joslyn