[RC] Ride time v. Elapsed Time - k s swigart

Truman said:

The ride times are what is listed in the AERC results not competition
times.

Most 25's have a 20 to 40 minute hold time which gives 5:20 to 5:30 of
ride time
available to finish a ride. My mare could (and has ) walked that.

This is, in fact, probably one of the problems with your analysis.  You are
doing the calculations based on "ride time" rather than total elapsed time.
Only an idiot would think that time spent resting in the middle of an effort
should not be included in any calculations of average speed.

Unfortunately, the available data from the AERC does not include enough
information to even figure out what average speed actually is, since they
don't report elapsed time.

What you are seeing as regional differences may actually be a function of
differences in average hold times rather than differences in average speeds.

I have NEVER been to an LD ride that had 40 minutes of hold (20-30 is the
norm around here and I have been to some with only 15 minutes); wereas most
50 mile rides (except for multi-days) will have 90-100 minutes of hold with
some having as much as 120 minutes.  I have never been to a ride where the
difference in the amount of hold time between the LD and the 50 was
proportional to the distance (which is what it would take for the amount of
hold time to have no effect on average speed).

Until you have the data to calculate average speeds, your analysis of
average speeds is meaningless.

And to anybody who thinks that time spent resting at a hold doesn't count:
I just got done doing a 75 mile Ride & Tie; which took us about 14 1/2 hours
elapsed time to complete.  Of that time, the horse probably spent about half
of it standing around waiting for her riders to catch up with her.  Our
"ride time" (time actually spent moving forward on the horse) was probably
about 7 1/2 hours...however, there is NO WAY the horse could have sustained
that speed (10 mph) on that course, if she hadn't spent another 7 hours
standing around eating, drinking, or resting in the shade (only once or
twice did we tie her in the sun).  I KNOW she spent 3 1/2 hours total
standing at the vet checks and the trot by.

It is long past time that the AERC put a stop to the assinine practice of
removing time spent resting from completion times....

....because then, some statistical analyses of completion times might
actually be meaningful (although there would still be the difficulty of the
possibility that rides are not really the length they are reported to be).

kat
Orange County, Calif.