[RC] Hobble training - DreamWeaver

A few people asked about how to hobble train a horse. I found some website links that might be helpful. My advice would be to read thru these pages and then maybe find an experienced person who has done it before to assist you. It is usually a big letdown when you do it, sort of like waiting for water to boil without having the burner turned on :-).

http://gaitedhorses.net/Articles/Hobble/hobble.html
http://www.horseproblems.com.au/horse_problems_on_hobbles_and_na.htm
http://user.cavenet.com/parkerk/clickertraining5.html
http://www.wilhowe.com/video4.htm
http://www.cha-ahse.org/teaching%20articles/submissive_jg.htm

Once people get thru this stage, it just takes a little more work to get the horse used to tack slipping and falling. Ground tying is great to teach also. Have you guys ever seen Crockett stop to get off and open a gate for riders on a ride? He just drops his reins, the horse stays put while he opens the gate and the rest of the riders trot on by---horse never budges.

I put my horses on a longe line and put their saddles on really loose so they would fall off and tied their stirrups together so they could not get a hind foot thru one (a couple of times I've seen that happen the horse did have a b/c on). You can start first with letting stuff hang off of the saddle, or even start with a bareback pad. I know some horses might not take to this stuff so just be careful. Good luck. I should add that I don't have a round pen, just a big open field, so do what I can with what I've got--a round pen would probably be safer than a longe line for some.

Happy Trails,

Karen
in NV