[RC] Locking Stifle - Beth Bennett

I have an Appaloosa gelding whose left stifle would also lock up. I was told by my vet and by my trainer both that walking up hills would help to tighten that joint up.

I really was opposed to blistering and causing him pain, and tried the slow hill work. It worked very well. As for not being an endurance prospect, I disagree personally. I found that with my guy, the more exercise he got, the fewer problems he had with that stifle. I mean, at least where I live, any type of training ride (LSD) is slow hill work. He is limited by his bulkiness and ability to cool, not by his stifle problem.

He makes a great limited distance horse and probably with enough conditioning could do conservative 50's. Although he doesn't burn up the trail, he is sure footed, steady, and the most willing horse I have ever had.

He is currently in a therapeutic riding program and not getting much real exercise. His stifle has once again started to lock up occasionally. It doesn't last long, just a quick hitch in his gait, but I am a firm believer that the exercise is what kept him sound and comfortable in that stifle.

OH, on another note. . . I also had an equine acupuncturist work on that stifle joint and that seemed to really improve the tone in that joint. I only had to have two treatments. That might be one other avenue to consider.