[RC] Stifle Locking Problem - Stephanie_D_Adair

I had a mare w/ this problem, w/ no obvious conformational flaw.  It began
w/ conditioning and then one endurance ride.  I began to notice that when
we moved into a big walk or trot she would spread her rear legs out quite a
bit, but that was all.  The "huff and puff" hills at the end of the Foxfire
ride in the Angelina Nat'l Forest were where they "blew".  She was in pain
and we barely made it back to the trailer as she SLOWLY would bring each
rear leg forward to take a step.  Rested her for 2-3 months.  Then each
time she would move out, a stifle would lock, though she did not act as
though it bothered her.  Took her to Dr. Heitmann at the Katy Equine
Clinic.  He informed me from what I described (because of course no matter
how hard we tried, could not get a stifle to lock!) that when she really
extended her rear legs behind her (she could trot!) the tendon would slip
off (luxate?) to the side of the 'groove' (patella??) in her knee and hang
there.  I apologize that I don't know the terms, so I'll just describe how
I remember things.  I chose to go w/ surgery.  He went in and
partially/halfway cut the tendon so that it would stretch longer but not
rupture, and let the scar tissue heal on the tendon.  Essentially making
the tendon longer so that when she extended and it became taught, it would
not slip over her knee.  I followed Dr. Heitmann's strict guidelines for
her care after the surgery, and it worked.  She no longer had the wide rear
stance, no more locking, and she could do her flowing extended trot again.
We did a couple more rides, but I never stopped worrying about her.  Loved
her more than I did endurance.  BUT.  I don't know if because in the
subsequent years she was not always conditioned.  Had times where she was
just a pasture potato.  Or if it was inevitable.  About 6 years later,
although her stifles never locked, she returned to the wide stance, would
go into an extended trot only when not being ridden, and when ridden it was
either easy trot, and then when asked to go a little faster, extended for a
few strides and then into a canter.  I do think she just developed
arthritis.  She was a great mare, and the surgery cured her for several
years.  So if I had a chance to change my decision on the surgery, I
wouldn't change a thing.  I do know NOW that I should have gotten off and
walked those hills, as we don't have hills like that at home.  They may
have different options these days for locking stifles.  I understand Dr.
Heitmann is the person to see in the Houston area for options.