Re: [RC] [RC] Of incredible strength, courage and friendship - Laurie Durgin

Thank heavens all ended up ok. !!!!!
I guess you never know if your horse can swim till you try, but what a way to go. !!!!
I was looking at my tack the other day, and thinking about the easy care of biothane and beta, and even nylon, when I was remembered one reason people use leather tack is for safety, it will usually break if a horse gets in trouble.. . . I was wondering if it really was such a good idea to use the syntheics/ rope reins , etc.. . I do use a leather halter or a breakaway when shipping.
We once had an older mare go down in the trailer , had a nylon halter on, her neck was all twisted and stuck, then the brass fittings broke, thank goodness(we hadn't had horses long and didn't know better). Laurie

Paula soon found out that Rock wasn't
much of a swimmer and headed back to the shore as did Beth, Jeff and
myself. Jeff and I thought we'd go back in 'cause our guys did enjoy the
cooling waters. Within seconds tragedy was about to rear its ugly head
as Gus started to SINK! 1150 pounds of thrashing, panicking horse in the
water! The only thing I was able to do was scream his name and stay out
of his path. It was like a bad scene in a tearjerking movie! This was
not happening! Forward thrush, backwards flip...what is happening?!
Still I continue to scream his name, then the worst vision any horse
owner could possibly witness...he laid his head down and down he went
with the bubbles signaling the end. BUT...in an incredible instance
SPlASH to the top was this incredible animal with all his strength as he
must have pushed himself from the bottom to the top and started to
shore. In the greatest feat I had witnessed so far this mighty animal
never gave up. Our friends were crying with relief (not Jeff, he was
quite composed) from what they witnessed. It was then they had told me
his leg got hung up in the reins which I didn't see. Readers, I have
scissor snap reins and I am hear to tell you that angels unsnapped that
rein so he could free himself and head to shore.You won't ever get me to
think otherwise. I have thanked God 100 times that day and night. I
hugged that horses neck like a long lost lover and in my book, he is my
HERO. Just as we thought there was no turning back he showed us the
determination, strength and courage to finish the ride.